enumeration schema improvement

Fabio Martelli
Hi guys, I'd like to suggest a simple improvement.

At the moment we can specify an attribute schema of enum type. For this enumeration we can just specify a set of values.
From my point of view we should have the possibility to specify a set of keys as well.
The reason is simple: often we need to use a friendly label to specify a certain attribute value.

For example, think about the enumerated attribute color coded as follow

1 - red
2 - black
3 - green

In this case we have to specify 1/2/3/... during create or update but could be a little bit hard to remember the number associated to the right color.
Having a select on the administration console asking for color using names for label and keys for values will solve our problem.

I'd like to implement this new feature before the next release.

Let me know if you see some problem.

Regards,
F.

Re: enumeration schema improvement

ilgrosso
Administrator
On 19/04/2012 15:19, Fabio Martelli wrote:

> Hi guys, I'd like to suggest a simple improvement.
>
> At the moment we can specify an attribute schema of enum type. For this enumeration we can just specify a set of values.
>  From my point of view we should have the possibility to specify a set of keys as well.
> The reason is simple: often we need to use a friendly label to specify a certain attribute value.
>
> For example, think about the enumerated attribute color coded as follow
>
> 1 - red
> 2 - black
> 3 - green
>
> In this case we have to specify 1/2/3/... during create or update but could be a little bit hard to remember the number associated to the right color.
> Having a select on the administration console asking for color using names for label and keys for values will solve our problem.
>
> I'd like to implement this new feature before the next release.
>
> Let me know if you see some problem.

Not at all, it seems a very simple but powerful add-on.
Could you also take care of improving admin console handling of Enum
schemas? Currently, user must type an input string with values separated
by something, which is not very handy.

Thanks.
Regards.

--