Which IDE and O/S for dev machine?

Cam Luc
Hi all,

Could someone share which IDE and OS they use for development?

I'm using Windows 10 and NetBeans - the build process is quite problematic
so far.

Thanks in advance,

Cam Luc

Re: Which IDE and O/S for dev machine?

Andrea Patricelli
Ho Cam Luc,

I'm using netebeans 8.2 on Ubuntu 16.04 for example. But nothing prevents to use also windows like you are doing. What are your build problems?

Best regards,
Andrea

Il giorno 11 ago 2017, 06:22, alle ore 06:22, Cam Luc <[hidden email]> ha scritto:

>Hi all,
>
>Could someone share which IDE and OS they use for development?
>
>I'm using Windows 10 and NetBeans - the build process is quite
>problematic
>so far.
>

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Cam Luc

Re: Which IDE and O/S for dev machine?

ilgrosso
Administrator
On 11/08/2017 06:22, Cam Luc wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Could someone share which IDE and OS they use for development?
>
> I'm using Windows 10 and NetBeans - the build process is quite problematic so far.

Hi,
I personally work with Netbeans 8.2 on Linux, but the reason for this is
simply the great Maven support you get.
So, essentially, I am always building with Maven.

Can you elaborate what you mean with "quite problematic"?

Furthermore, may I ask if you are (a) developing your own IdM solution,
based on Syncope or (b) willing to contribute to the Apache Syncope project?

In the former case, you don't need to build Apache Syncope, just go to

http://syncope.apache.org/downloads.html

and pick your preferred distribution; otherwise (great news, BTW),
please take a look at

http://syncope.apache.org/contributing.html

and consider sending your ICLA and sharing your ideas about the areas
where you'd like to contribute, thanks.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Which IDE and O/S for dev machine?

Cam Luc
Thank you for sharing. I also use NetBeans for its strong Maven support.

Q: Can you elaborate what you mean with "quite problematic"?
A: I'm not yet familiar with the code-debug-test-deploy workflow of syncope
- specifically step by step action.
What I've tried so far is sometimes using NetBeans to build, some other
times use the command line.
And I faced problems like checkstyle error (new line not at end of file),
and rat check error.

Q: Furthermore, may I ask if you are (a) developing your own IdM solution,
based on Syncope or (b) willing to contribute to the Apache Syncope project?
A: Overall, I'd like to do both: develop an IdM for my employer, and
contribute to the project.
I will send in the ICLA some time next week.
As for "what areas I'd like to contribute", I'm not sure yet. I will know
after learning some more of the source code, in couple of weeks.

Regards.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:19 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]
> wrote:

> On 11/08/2017 06:22, Cam Luc wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Could someone share which IDE and OS they use for development?
>>
>> I'm using Windows 10 and NetBeans - the build process is quite
>> problematic so far.
>>

> Hi,
> I personally work with Netbeans 8.2 on Linux, but the reason for this is
> simply the great Maven support you get.
> So, essentially, I am always building with Maven.
>
> Can you elaborate what you mean with "quite problematic"?
>
> Furthermore, may I ask if you are (a) developing your own IdM solution,
> based on Syncope or (b) willing to contribute to the Apache Syncope project?
>
> In the former case, you don't need to build Apache Syncope, just go to
>
> http://syncope.apache.org/downloads.html
>
> and pick your preferred distribution; otherwise (great news, BTW), please
> take a look at
>
> http://syncope.apache.org/contributing.html
>
> and consider sending your ICLA and sharing your ideas about the areas
> where you'd like to contribute, thanks.
>
> Regards.
>
> --
> Francesco Chicchiriccò
>
> Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
> http://www.tirasa.net/

> http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Which IDE and O/S for dev machine?

Cam Luc
I want to start with adding some documentation related to SYNCOPE-917
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-917>

What do you think about a new section "5. Tutorial" in the "Reference
Guide".

On 18-ago-17, at 20:45, Cam Luc [hidden email] wrote:

> I want to start with adding some documentation related to SYNCOPE-917
> <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SYNCOPE-917>

This is huge! :-)

> What do you think about a new section "5. Tutorial" in the "Reference
> Guide".

We initially called such chapter "Use Cases", but "Tutorials" won't hurt IMHO.

You might want to review

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/SYNCOPE/Git+workflow

before starting.

Operation-wise, you'll have to fork

https://github.com/apache/syncope

then create a new branch in your fork from 2_0_X and do your work on the AsciiDoctor sources under

src/main/asciidoc/reference-guide

In order to build the docs, the Maven command is

mvn -N -P site clean generate-resources

and the docs will be generated under target/generated-docs

Do not forget to include the string 'SYNCOPE-917' in your commit(s).

Once complete, please open an PR and we'll be happy to review and merge.

Thanks again.
Regards.

> On Sat, Aug 12, 2017 at 2:40 PM, Cam Luc <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Thank you for sharing. I also use NetBeans for its strong Maven support.
>>
>> Q: Can you elaborate what you mean with "quite problematic"?
>> A: I'm not yet familiar with the code-debug-test-deploy workflow of
>> syncope - specifically step by step action.
>> What I've tried so far is sometimes using NetBeans to build, some other
>> times use the command line.
>> And I faced problems like checkstyle error (new line not at end of file),
>> and rat check error.
>>
>> Q: Furthermore, may I ask if you are (a) developing your own IdM solution,
>> based on Syncope or (b) willing to contribute to the Apache Syncope project?
>> A: Overall, I'd like to do both: develop an IdM for my employer, and
>> contribute to the project.
>> I will send in the ICLA some time next week.
>> As for "what areas I'd like to contribute", I'm not sure yet. I will know
>> after learning some more of the source code, in couple of weeks.
>>
>> Regards.
>>

>> On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 5:19 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Hi,
>>> I personally work with Netbeans 8.2 on Linux, but the reason for this is
>>> simply the great Maven support you get.
>>> So, essentially, I am always building with Maven.
>>>
>>> Can you elaborate what you mean with "quite problematic"?
>>>
>>> Furthermore, may I ask if you are (a) developing your own IdM solution,
>>> based on Syncope or (b) willing to contribute to the Apache Syncope project?
>>>
>>> In the former case, you don't need to build Apache Syncope, just go to
>>>
>>> http://syncope.apache.org/downloads.html
>>>
>>> and pick your preferred distribution; otherwise (great news, BTW), please
>>> take a look at
>>>
>>> http://syncope.apache.org/contributing.html
>>>
>>> and consider sending your ICLA and sharing your ideas about the areas
>>> where you'd like to contribute, thanks.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Francesco Chicchiriccò
>>>
>>> Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
>>> http://www.tirasa.net/
>>>
>>> Member at The Apache Software Foundation
>>> Syncope, Cocoon, Olingo, CXF, OpenJPA, PonyMail
>>> http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Which IDE and O/S for dev machine?

Cam Luc
Very cool! I will get started on it. Thanks Francesco.

On Sat, Aug 19, 2017 at 7:31 AM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]