Development environment proposal

Andrea Patricelli
Hi all,

During developments of Apache Syncope 2.0 (especially enduser) I felt
the need to have a common and fully-accessible development environment.
And this is my proposal:

We can  setup a development platform (virtual machine, whatever) which
aim is to have a shared, accessible (by contributor, committer or
everybody who wants to take a look to current Apache Syncope
developments, let's talk about it) and fully-working Apache Syncope
distribution.
This platform must contain the latest version of Apache Syncope project,
in particular "what is on the master branch", so it's a capture (demo)
of current developments.
With the help of a continuous-integration tool, like Jenkins, we can
assure that this machine has the latest Apache Syncope available.
In this way we can have a "reference" machine that can be useful for
demos, or simply to browse latest features, etc.

WDYT?

Best regards,
Andrea

Re: Development environment proposal

giacomolm
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Development environment proposal

Chema Polo
Why not a vagrant  or docker ?
El 17/03/2016 14:38, "Giacomo Lamonaco" <[hidden email]>
escribió:

> Il giorno gio, 17/03/2016 alle 14.16 +0100, andrea ha scritto:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > During developments of Apache Syncope 2.0 (especially enduser) I felt
> > the need to have a common and fully-accessible development
> > environment.
> > And this is my proposal:
> >
> > We can  setup a development platform (virtual machine, whatever)
> > which
> > aim is to have a shared, accessible (by contributor, committer or
> > everybody who wants to take a look to current Apache Syncope
> > developments, let's talk about it) and fully-working Apache Syncope
> > distribution.
> > This platform must contain the latest version of Apache Syncope
> > project,
> > in particular "what is on the master branch", so it's a capture
> > (demo)
> > of current developments.
> > With the help of a continuous-integration tool, like Jenkins, we can
> > assure that this machine has the latest Apache Syncope available.
> > In this way we can have a "reference" machine that can be useful for
> > demos, or simply to browse latest features, etc.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> Hi Andrea,
>
> Great idea! Here is my +1. As you said, it could be really useful to share
> with contributors (or everybody else) the latest functionality, and discuss
> further improvements.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Giacomo Lamonaco
>
> Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
> http://www.tirasa.net/
>
> Syncope committer
> http://people.apache.org/~giacomolm

Re: Development environment proposal

ilgrosso
Administrator
On 17/03/2016 14:38, Giacomo Lamonaco wrote:

> Il giorno gio, 17/03/2016 alle 14.16 +0100, andrea ha scritto:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> During developments of Apache Syncope 2.0 (especially enduser) I felt
>> the need to have a common and fully-accessible development
>> environment.
>> And this is my proposal:
>>
>> We can  setup a development platform (virtual machine, whatever)
>> which
>> aim is to have a shared, accessible (by contributor, committer or
>> everybody who wants to take a look to current Apache Syncope
>> developments, let's talk about it) and fully-working Apache Syncope
>> distribution.
>> This platform must contain the latest version of Apache Syncope
>> project,
>> in particular "what is on the master branch", so it's a capture
>> (demo)
>> of current developments.
>> With the help of a continuous-integration tool, like Jenkins, we can
>> assure that this machine has the latest Apache Syncope available.
>> In this way we can have a "reference" machine that can be useful for
>> demos, or simply to browse latest features, etc.
>>
>> WDYT?
> Hi Andrea,
>
> Great idea! Here is my +1. As you said, it could be really useful to share with contributors (or everybody else) the latest functionality, and discuss further improvements.

+1 looks good!

If others agree we might want to ask infra to provide us with a Ubuntu
VM (say syncope-vm.apache.org) where something (say a Jenkins build) can
automatically deploy the latest core, console and enduser deb packages,
for every build.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC, CXF committer
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Il 17/03/2016 14:47, Chema Polo ha scritto:
> Why not a vagrant  or docker ?
> El 17/03/2016 14:38, "Giacomo Lamonaco" <[hidden email]>
> escribió:

Hi Chema Polo,

It is a good idea!
In fact we have already an integration of Apache Syncope and Docker, you
can look at [1]: It's a very beginning project, it needs some important
improvements, but is a starting point and it's open to new contributors ;)

By the way this topic is a bit different from the aim of my proposal,
that is to have a kind of (let me the term) countinuous-integration
(demo) environment.

[1] http://blog.tirasa.net/apache-syncope-with-docker.html

Kind regards,
Andrea

On 17/03/2016 15:06, andrea wrote:

> Il 17/03/2016 14:47, Chema Polo ha scritto:
>> Why not a vagrant  or docker ?
>> El 17/03/2016 14:38, "Giacomo Lamonaco" <[hidden email]>
>> escribió:
>
> Hi Chema Polo,
>
> It is a good idea!
> In fact we have already an integration of Apache Syncope and Docker,
> you can look at [1]: It's a very beginning project, it needs some
> important improvements, but is a starting point and it's open to new
> contributors ;)

If there is enough traction it is always an option to embed such feature
into Syncope itself, as we did once for deb packages and Camel extension.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC, CXF committer
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Development environment proposal

Chema Polo
+1 Count me in! I would like to help as well if possible.

Regards

Chema

> On 17/03/2016 15:06, andrea wrote:
>

>> Il 17/03/2016 14:47, Chema Polo ha scritto:
>>
>>> Why not a vagrant  or docker ?
>>> El 17/03/2016 14:38, "Giacomo Lamonaco" <[hidden email]>
>>> escribió:
>>>

>> Hi Chema Polo,
>>
>> It is a good idea!
>> In fact we have already an integration of Apache Syncope and Docker, you
>> can look at [1]: It's a very beginning project, it needs some important
>> improvements, but is a starting point and it's open to new contributors ;)
>>

> If there is enough traction it is always an option to embed such feature
> into Syncope itself, as we did once for deb packages and Camel extension.
>
> Regards.
>

> By the way this topic is a bit different from the aim of my proposal, that
>> is to have a kind of (let me the term) countinuous-integration (demo)
>> environment.
>>
>> [1] http://blog.tirasa.net/apache-syncope-with-docker.html
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Andrea

> --
> Francesco Chicchiriccò
>
> Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
> http://www.tirasa.net/
>
> Involved at The Apache Software Foundation:
> member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC, CXF committer
> http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Development environment proposal

Marco Di Sabatino Di Diodoro-2

Il 17/03/2016 14:48, Francesco Chicchiriccò ha scritto:

> On 17/03/2016 14:38, Giacomo Lamonaco wrote:
>> Il giorno gio, 17/03/2016 alle 14.16 +0100, andrea ha scritto:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> During developments of Apache Syncope 2.0 (especially enduser) I felt
>>> the need to have a common and fully-accessible development
>>> environment.
>>> And this is my proposal:
>>>
>>> We can  setup a development platform (virtual machine, whatever)
>>> which
>>> aim is to have a shared, accessible (by contributor, committer or
>>> everybody who wants to take a look to current Apache Syncope
>>> developments, let's talk about it) and fully-working Apache Syncope
>>> distribution.
>>> This platform must contain the latest version of Apache Syncope
>>> project,
>>> in particular "what is on the master branch", so it's a capture
>>> (demo)
>>> of current developments.
>>> With the help of a continuous-integration tool, like Jenkins, we can
>>> assure that this machine has the latest Apache Syncope available.
>>> In this way we can have a "reference" machine that can be useful for
>>> demos, or simply to browse latest features, etc.
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>> Hi Andrea,
>>
>> Great idea! Here is my +1. As you said, it could be really useful to
>> share with contributors (or everybody else) the latest functionality,
>> and discuss further improvements.
>
> +1 looks good!
>
> If others agree we might want to ask infra to provide us with a Ubuntu
> VM (say syncope-vm.apache.org) where something (say a Jenkins build)
> can automatically deploy the latest core, console and enduser deb
> packages, for every build.

+1

Marco

--
Dott. Marco Di Sabatino Di Diodoro
Tel. +39 3939065570

Tirasa S.r.l.
Viale D'Annunzio 267 - 65127 Pescara
Tel +39 0859116307 / FAX +39 0859111173
http://www.tirasa.net

Apache Syncope PMC Member
http://people.apache.org/~mdisabatino/

On 18/03/2016 09:01, Marco Di Sabatino Di Diodoro wrote:

> Il 17/03/2016 14:48, Francesco Chicchiriccò ha scritto:

>>> Hi Andrea,
>>>
>>> Great idea! Here is my +1. As you said, it could be really useful to
>>> share with contributors (or everybody else) the latest
>>> functionality, and discuss further improvements.
>>
>> +1 looks good!
>>
>> If others agree we might want to ask infra to provide us with a
>> Ubuntu VM (say syncope-vm.apache.org) where something (say a Jenkins
>> build) can automatically deploy the latest core, console and enduser
>> deb packages, for every build.
>
> +1

Here you go:

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

On 2016-03-18 09:07, Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 18/03/2016 09:01, Marco Di Sabatino Di Diodoro wrote:

> >> +1 looks good!
> >>
> >> If others agree we might want to ask infra to provide us with a
> >> Ubuntu VM (say syncope-vm.apache.org) where something (say a Jenkins
> >> build) can automatically deploy the latest core, console and enduser
> >> deb packages, for every build.
> >
> > +1
>
> Here you go:

As you can read from there, syncope-vm.apache.org has been made available; I have already checked the SSH access and soon I'll setup the demo; anyone else interested in being granted access? If so, please comment INFRA-11482.

Regards.
------
Sent via Pony Mail for [hidden email].
View this email online at:
https://pony-poc.apache.org/list.html?dev@...

Re: Development environment proposal

Pierre Smits
Hi All,

Having a demo-vm is a good thing to show -and- check functionality. This is
something we at Apache OFBiz already have for years. We provide 2 demo
sites. One against the latest stable release and one against the trunk.
This way we can provide not only a demo for potential adopters, but also a
good reference point for contributing developers and documenters comparing
their own development actions against trunk but also for finding and
establishing the existence of the bugs. More over it is easier to reference
a bug with a link in the demo against the trunk than referring to something
might have different urls and screens shot.

Just food for thought.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 6:23 PM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]

On 20/03/2016 21:59, Pierre Smits wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Having a demo-vm is a good thing to show -and- check functionality. This is
> something we at Apache OFBiz already have for years. We provide 2 demo
> sites. One against the latest stable release and one against the trunk.
> This way we can provide not only a demo for potential adopters, but also a
> good reference point for contributing developers and documenters comparing
> their own development actions against trunk but also for finding and
> establishing the existence of the bugs. More over it is easier to reference
> a bug with a link in the demo against the trunk than referring to something
> might have different urls and screens shot.

Thanks Pierre.
I was actually about thinking that, among other projects at The ASF,
OFBiz is probably the most similar to Syncope: not for application
domain, of course, but rather for being an "almost ready-to-run"
enterprise application - as opposite as framework / library like as many
other projects here.

I'd say we have to study and learn from OFBiz's ability to create and
maintain a large and vivid ecosystem.

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC, CXF committer
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Development environment proposal

ilgrosso
Administrator

> On 2016-03-18 09:07, Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> +1
>> Here you go:

> As you can read from there, syncope-vm.apache.org has been made available; I have already checked the SSH access and soon I'll setup the demo; anyone else interested in being granted access? If so, please comment INFRA-11482.

I have performed some basic setup there and opened few issues with
component 'demo' on JIRA to track the work to be done.

In particular we have available right now:

http://syncope-vm.apache.org/syncope/
http://syncope-vm.apache.org/syncope-console/
http://syncope-vm.apache.org/syncope-enduser/

and almost the same environment and data used for integration tests.

Before advertising our new demo I would like to first resolve the issues
opened above - and help is more than welcome, as usual ;-)

Regards.

--
Francesco Chicchiriccò

Tirasa - Open Source Excellence
http://www.tirasa.net/

member, Syncope PMC chair, Cocoon PMC, Olingo PMC, CXF committer
http://home.apache.org/~ilgrosso/

Re: Development environment proposal

Pierre Smits
Hi Franesco,

I would say there are even more such solutions in the product portfolio of
the ASF, such as:

   - Apache Directory
   - Apache OpenMeetings
   - etc.

If you want to learn first-hand regarding the OFBiz demo deployments,
contact Jacques le Roux.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 1:23 PM, Francesco Chicchiriccò <[hidden email]